Sunday 15 October 2017

SPECT (single photon emission computed tomography)

SPECT, or less commonly, SPET [3], is a medical imaging technique that is based on conventional nuclear medicine imaging, using gamma rays, and tomographic reconstruction methods. It is «performed by using a gamma camera to acquire multiple two-dimensional (2D) images from multiple angles» [4]. «The images reflect functional information about patients similar to that obtained with positron emission tomography (PET). Both SPECT and PET (...) give information based on the spatial concentration of injected radiopharmaceuticals» [1]. It «is a type of nuclear imaging test that shows how blood flows to tissues and organs» [2]. It is very similar to conventional nuclear medicine planar imaging using a gamma camera (that is, scintigraphy), but, it is able to provide true three-dimensional (3D) information [3]. A computer is used to apply a tomographic reconstruction algorithm to the multiple 2D projections, yielding a 3D dataset. «This dataset may then be manipulated to show thin slices along any chosen axis of the body» [4]. SPECT can be used to complement any gamma imaging study, where a true 3D representation can be helpful, (e.g., tumor imaging, infection (leukocyte) imaging, thyroid imaging or bone scintigraphy). Because SPECT permits accurate localization in 3D space, it can be used to provide information about the localized function in internal organs, such as functional cardiac or brain imaging [3].
Bibliographic references:
[1] National Research Council (US) and Institute of Medicine (US) Committee on the Mathematics and Physics of Emerging Dynamic Biomedical Imaging. Mathematics and Physics of Emerging Biomedical Imaging. Washington (DC): National Academies Press (US); 1996. Chapter 5, Single Photon Emission Computed Tomography. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK232492/. Accessed October 15, 2017.
[2] SPECT (single photon emission computed tomography) scan. Mayfield Brain & Spine. 2016. Available at: https://www.mayfieldclinic.com/PE-SPECT.htm. Accessed October 15, 2017.
[3] Single-photon emission computed tomography. Enwikipediaorg. 2017. Available at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-photon_emission_computed_tomography. Accessed October 15, 2017.
[4] Hricak H, Akin O, Vargas HA. (2013). C. In: L. Brady and T. Yaeger, ed., Encyclopedia of Radiation Oncology, 1st ed. Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, pp.790.

4 comments:

  1. This is the first time to use the herbs of [ Robinsonbuckler@yahoo.com ] ✨ 🍰 ✨ It felt good to see my husband cured from Prostate cancer and was also cured from weak erection

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello views join my to appreciate Dr. Ajayi for the great work he did for me, that have be my happiest day in my life this true life story you should pickup a point. I have been diagnose of herpes virus for years,I’ve lost all hope and that there is no cure and I have been taken medicine to sustain myself till I got to know about Dr. Ajayi through a friend who he cured of herpes. I contacted him and he sent me his herbal remedy which I took as he directed me to do for some days and I went to the hospital after consuming his Herbal medicine and I was confirmed herpes Negative after years of pains and suffering , it is indeed a miracle, Dr. Ajayi is a great man, I have heard so much about how he has help lot of people, if you have any issue you can contact him for help.via email him on. ajayiherbalhome@gmail.com  you can as well call his mobile number or add him on whatsapp +2348154724883..

    ReplyDelete
  3. God bless Dr. USELU for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS since 2018 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. USELU , how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine within 3 days. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2 weeks later i was cured from HERPES contact him via email (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com) once again thanks to you Dr. USELU cure the flowing virus, contact his email or add him on whatsapp (+2349019328641) cancer cure
    diabetes cure
    ringing ear
    herpes cure
    warts cure
    HPV cure
    HIV cure
    get your ex back
    pregnancy herbal medicine
    Hepatitis    

    ReplyDelete

  4. I was having Herpes Simplex Virus then i came across a review of people saying that they got treated from Herpes Simplex Virus by Dr Voke., So i gave a try by contacting him through his email and explain my problem to him. He told me all the things I need to do and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening after two weeks the HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS that was in my body got vanished . so if you are also heart broken by any deadly diseases like HERPES HIV, shingles,low sperm count or bringing back your ex lover, this great man is extremely the best in which I have seen and applauds and if you also need a help, you can also email him via email (doctorvoke@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete